Saturday, August 21, 2010

Taylor Cafe, Taylor, Texas

Sampled 8/21/01
around 12:15 pm

Vencil Mares' Taylor Cafe is a regular stop for us in Taylor. In fact this funky little spot under the bridge by the railroad tracks is the site of our true "brisket nirvana", the best smoked brisket either Scott or I have ever had. While Louie Mueller's is the hangout for the tourists, Vencil's is the regular spot for many locals. On this visit they were very busy, more than the couple of wait staff could handle, and it took us over 30 minutes to get our food to go. Yup, good things come to those who wait. While this was not "brisket nirvana", it was still easily the best brisket I had this whole trip. The smoke flavor was deep and penetrating and the fat was rendered perfectly. The meat was beautifully moist and practically melted in my mouth. It was so good that the half pound I had planned to take back home to share with the wife was soon down to two little pieces before I had a chance to take a picture. Where did it go? Oh, right....

I also got a piece of his signature turkey sausage and enjoyed it as always.

Every time I walk in that joint and see Mr Mares sitting in his usual spot I know all is right with the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment