Thursday, May 13, 2021

Smiley's BBQ, Roanoke

 

sampled 5/13/21 about 11 am

This is a joint we had sampled at Red Dirt a couple of weeks back and we decided we wanted to try a little more of the menu.  Their brisket sample I had in Tyler was well rendered but I didn't notice any smoke flavor.  Smiley's is located inside a small food court called Oak Street Food and Brews.  The small parking lot next door was full, but I had no problem finding a spot on the street.  

I placed my order but was soon called back to the counter.  It seemed they had a special reduced menu on Thursday.  No sliced brisket, just chopped.  No sausage.  No brisket balls (their specialty item).  I settled for a couple of spare ribs and half a pound of chopped brisket.  Scott and Roy arrived and I gave them the bad news.  They drove from Dallas and were as disappointed as I with the limited menu.

Despite lots of bark on the chopped brisket I could not detect any smoke flavor.  Probably because all the fat had been trimmed off.  It reminded me of chopped roast beef.  It was tender and moist.  The ribs were under cooked and very tough.  The peppery rub reminded me a bit of Louie Mueller's and added a nice flavor.  

I would think in these modern times with websites and social media, both of which I checked in advance, any alterations to the menu would be made public.  If we do make another trip to Roanoke we will call first to find out what they are serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment