Saturday, May 29, 2010

Big Barn BBQ, North Richland Hills, Texas

visited May 29th, 2010 around 7 pm

I'm playing catch-up with this review. It's been a few months since I have eaten here, but I did and I shot some pix so here it goes from memory (back-posted).

The main reason we went over to this place on a weekend (when North Main was open) was to see a band we love. The BBQ was pretty average but the band more than made up for it.

First off, they were packed. Their lot was full but we had no problem finding a spot just down the street and it was a short walk up to the joint. Inside, the line was not too long, but I think it was slower than any other cafeteria-style line I have ever been in. It must have taken us 20 minutes to get our order in, despite the fact there must have been 10 folks working behind the counter. I don't know what it was, they were just real slow. Our disappointment began before we even reached the counter. A sign at the trays told us they had no ribs or chicken due to "pit malfunction". We were told some "might" be ready between 7:30 and 8, but we were not prepared to wait as the band we had come to see was about to start. I settled for the 2 meat plate with brisket and jalapeno cheese sausage and ended up with mac and cheese and tater salad as sides. There was zero smoke flavor in the brisket and the sides were average. The brisket was moist and tender, but it could just as well have been roast beef. The sausage was much better. Nowhere near Kreuz-worthy, but definitely a cut above most sausage in DFW. Overall, I'd just call it an average BBQ meal in an above average setting.

The setting was outside on their patio, under some big trees and in front of a nice small stage. We had table service re-filling our teas and beers while listening to the Christian Dozzler band play some blues. I would definitely go back, but only if there was a band I wanted to see. I don't think their Q would be worth a special trip, especially on weekends when I can get better just down the street.



No comments:

Post a Comment