Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Charby's BBQ and Burgers, Hurst, Texas

Visited 5/11/10 about 1:30 pm

I've seen this place getting ready to open over the last month or so after a Mexican place moved out. It's also the site of a former BBQ joint, Ron's, that I never ate at. They finally opened last Monday but I thought I'd give them a few days to get up and running before stopping by.

Inside it is a nice sit down style restaurant with table service. I ordered the 3 meat plate with sides of Charby beans and tater salad. The brisket was alternately tasty and trying. The outside near the smoke ring had a very nice smoke flavor, but inside it was straight roast beef. It didn't help that it was served cold, no evidence of having been kept in a warmer at all. It was not a tough chew, but it did require a knife to cut. Out of 3 slices of briskets I think I had 3 really nice bites. The ribs were much better. Not much smoke flavor to them, but they were piping hot and very tender. No real bark to speak of but the flavor of the pork came through nicely. I wish I had more than 2 of them to sample. The sausage was standard Ekrich style, sliced thin as pepperoni. Honestly, I don't know why I keep trying sausage around DFW. It seems to be a waste of time up here. The Charby beans were very nice baked beans with little bits of smoked meat in them. I never could quite discern if it was bacon, brisket, or ham, but the beans were excellent. Reminded me a lot of Shak beans from the Baby Back Shak in Dallas. The tater salad had a nice mustard flavor and had a mix of smooth and chunk potatoes. Better than average, I thought. Their BBQ sauce was an interesting mix of tangy and sweet, not really to my taste, but it did help out some of the roast beef pieces.

For dessert I had a small piece of chocolate pie. Really small. About one and a half bites. Apparently they had pre-cut little pieces of pie to go with their daily lunch special and that's all the chocolate pie they had. At first, the little lady had brought me a HUGE piece of chocolate cake until I mentioned I had wanted pie. I may have to try that cake next time. The pie was so-so.

I think the brisket here has potential, the ribs are pretty good, and the baked beans are really nice. I may stop by here again in a few more weeks and try them again. Danny D's is right around the corner from this place and that won't help their business.


No comments:

Post a Comment