Thursday, August 9, 2018

Freedmen's BBQ, Austin 8/9/18

visited 8/9/18

Another place I had sampled at a BBQ festival or two but the first time I had visited their restaurant.  Inside the historic old building it appears to be more of a bar than a restaurant, with about half the space taken up by the bar.  There is some upstairs space as well, but we just sat at the bar and didn't wander up the stairs.

The friendly bartender took our order and it was out quickly.  Dave thought the brisket was a bit overcooked, but it was not mushy at all to me.  It passed the pull apart test nicely and the fat was well rendered.  I detected more smoke flavor in the brisket here than in any other brisket we had.  The ribs were tasty and the sausage was excellent.  It was supposed to be jalapeno cheddar but I never detected any cheese.  There was good pepper content and the medium grind had some great beefy flavor with a kick.  This was the best sausage I had this trip and I got another 2 pounds to go.

Interestingly, the bartender told us they make their sausage in one long coil instead of tying off links.  Then it is just sliced as needed.
Update:  Just got the word this place will close on August 31 due to 2 years of construction on the surrounding property.  I'm happy we got to try it and even happier I got extra sausage for my freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment