Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Favorites

One of the standard questions I get is what is your FAVORITE BBQ joint? That's a tough question. Consistency is the key to truly great BBQ. On any given day you can get a bad or great meal almost anywhere. The best joints are those where you get consistently great food, every time. It's important to also remember there is no "best", only favorites. That said, here are mine.

My overall favorite is Luling City Market in Luling, Texas. Even though I can't stand their mustard sauce. However their meat is so great who needs sauce?

Second would be Black's BBQ in Lockhart, Texas. Consistently great meals there.

My favorite local joint (DFW) is North Main BBQ in Euless, Texas. Two times world rib champs and all you can eat for $12. Their sides are very average, brisket can be very good but is inconsistent, and they are only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday. However their ribs make up for everything else. They are outstanding.

Favorite sausage I've ever had is at Kreuz Market, Lockhart, Texas. Their jalapeno cheese sausage is to die for and is consistently great. I try to keep some in my freezer at all times but it never seems to last for long.

Favorite brisket I've ever had was at Vencil Mares' Taylor Cafe in Taylor, Texas. Scott called it "brisket nirvana", and it was. It is not consistently that great, buton that one day, man, oh man.

My favorite tater salad is still at Baker's Ribs in Dallas, Texas. Creamy mayo-based with lots of dill.

My favorite sauce is North Main BBQ's 406 brand. Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce is another favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment