Sunday, June 28, 2009

Off the Bone BBQ, Dallas

I'm pretty wary when someone starts trumpeting "gourmet barbecue" so I really didn't expect much from this converted gas station which recently opened just down the street from Poor David's Pub, one of my sometimes blues haunts. I had checked their website beforehand so I knew they did not offer sliced brisket, only chopped brisket, but I went ahead and asked anyway. Nope. You can only get sliced brisket through their catering service. What's up with that? Well I went ahead and ordered the chopped beef sandwich, an order of ribs, beans, and tater salad. The meat arrived slathered in sauce and the sandwich was open face with a generous mound of chopped brisket. Unfortunately the sauce didn't add much except to cover the taste of the meat almost completely. Next time I'll know better. The ribs were very tender and definitely "off the bone" tender. I want to go back another time and get an order of ribs with NO SAUCE. Maybe there's some actual flavor in the meat. Sauced it was impossible to tell. The sides were average, and Scott spied some sausage being cut out of a big plastic shrink wrapper. Hmmmm. Glad I skipped that. I also ordered iced tea and got a bottle of "Lipton citrus green tea". How gourmet.

Now the coolest thing about this place (except maybe the ribs which I want to try dry) is that they are open LATE, 2 am on weekends, and are close to the Deep Ellum club scene. Even average BBQ beats Denny's for a late night snack. This place lacks the funk of Sam's late night shack in Austin, but remember, this is Dallas! There is NO seating inside, but several small tables are available outside. I'd suggest BYOB and and be sure to get the sauce ON THE SIDE.

additional: Went by this place at 2 am on a Friday night and they were packed with a full parking lot and a line out the door. Clearly late night BBQ in this area is a good idea!




No comments:

Post a Comment