Saturday, May 25, 2013

Cattleack BBQ, Dallas, Texas

Sampled 5/24/13 about 11 am

 http://cattleackbbq.com/

My friends at the Texas BBQ Posse (yes, The Rat Finks) recently visited this spot and gave glowing reviews so Scott and I decided to run by and give them a shot.  This is mainly a catering business that now does a take-out lunch on Fridays only, starting at 11 am.  It's located in a nondescript retail area just south of Addison which hardly has the ambiance of a great BBQ location.  However, trusting the Posse's taste buds and knowing the proof is in the meat, I got there a bit before 11 am and waited around til they opened.
I was the first customer in the door at 11 and ordered my usual brisket, ribs, and sausage with no sides.  This is a meat by the pound joint, no "plates", so you get just what you order, wrapped in butcher paper, each meat in a separate package.  When asked if I wanted sauce I asked "Does it need it?"  The counter man responded with a quick brisket sample which most definitely did NOT require any sauce.  Pass.  After a few quick knife slices I headed out the door to the back of my truck to enjoy half a pound of brisket, 2 pork ribs, and half a pound of sausage.
The brisket was just what you would expect from the first slices of the day, perfectly moist, tender, but with a nice smoke flavor that makes the difference between average and great BBQ.  Very good stuff.  It passed the KCBS pull-apart test with flying colors.  There was plenty of nice bark and the fat was well rendered and delicious.  As always you can click on the photos for a larger view.
The ribs were also well cooked and left a nice bite mark.  Not too loose on the bone but very tender and an easy chew.  I didn't detect much smoke in the ribs but I thought there was a hint of fruity flavor in the bark.  Maybe peach or apricot.  Nice ribs.
I liked the sausage, too.  It had the right amount of moisture for a fine grind and a nice meaty flavor.  Some of the casing was a bit tough and chewy but it was way better than store bought sausage most average Q joints serve up.  Maybe they'll make a jalapeno version someday.  Hint, hint!
In short it was well worth the 20 miles or so each way for a nice lunch I had to eat on the back of my truck.  If you're closer and need some lunch on a Friday, it's a no brainer.  Just remember it's to go only, no seating inside.  My guess is eventually the word will get around and this will be yet another good BBQ joint for which you'll have to get there early and stand in line.  Sigh.

Thanks to the Texas BBQ Posse for finding another great joint.

No comments:

Post a Comment