Saturday, August 23, 2014

Pecan Lodge and Snow's from the fridge

sampled 8/22/14
Warmed up some Pecan Lodge and Snow's last night for dinner and still have a smile on my face the next day.  The brisket from Pecan Lodge was perfect.  The fat was melt-in-your-mouth and the tenderness and moisture survived the fridge just fine in a sealed plastic bag.  The smoke flavor was deep and long lasting.  I had inside fatty slices from Pecan Lodge as you can see from the photos below.
I started carving from the lean end of the Snow's brisket and it is a bit dry but very tasty.  Good smoke flavor, too.  I suspect that will moisten up as I get further into that whole brisket. The sausage was excellent with great beef flavor but no hint of the jalapeno spice I was expecting.  The bag was marked "JAL" so I'm sure it is supposed to be jalapeno.  Their sausage is leaner than most but it also has better smoke flavor than most. 

I have some mighty fine eating to do over the next week or so.  I hope the cooks at the KCBS contest in Bedford are on their game next weekend.  However I don't hold out much hope of them matching any of this.
In the photo above Pecan Lodge brisket is at the bottom, Snow's brisket and sausage is at the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment