Saturday, September 4, 2010

I'm a KCBS BBQ judge!

WoooHoo!  I just finished the KCBS BBQ judging class held in conjunction with the Bedford Blues and BBQ festival.  It was a lot of fun and I even got to eat some BBQ.  There were about 30 folks in the class and most of the time was spent explaining the KCBS rules and methods of judging.  It all seemed common sense stuff and I look forward to putting it into practice tomorrow as a BBQ judge at the fest.  I think I'm on the judges list.   I'm getting the e-mails, but I have never gotten anything officially saying "your application as judge has been accepted".  I guess I'll just show up tomorrow and see what happens.  The worst they can do is send me home and I can go to North Main for lunch.  

The class was an interesting mix of BBQ competitors, wanna-be competitors, and folks who just like to eat BBQ (like me).  As they brought us various boxes to sample, some had rules infractions that we were supposed to notice (like sauce pools, red tip lettuce, and other no-nos).  We graded each box, 6 judges to a table, and the scores varied pretty widely.  Once we got the ribs, I figured out all the food had come from the same source, they were just putting it in 3 different boxes and arranging it differently.  The ribs were very good.  Everything else was sub-par.

1 comment:

  1. Have fun judging and attending the blues fest. Wish I could be there, but I have to work on Sunday night.

    ReplyDelete