Saturday, September 25, 2010

Blind Lemon BBQ tour, 9/25/2010


With my wife off on the road on business and no real blues doin's that I wanted to do this weekend, I told Scott I was heading down to Mexia and Groesbeck to check out some BBQ spots and pay my respects at Blind Lemon Jefferson's grave in Wortham.  I told him he was welcome to come along or just read about it later and I quickly got back an e-mail saying "I'm IN!"

I had a racquetball game at noon so we got a late start, 1:30 pm.  It was only about a 2 hour drive so I figured we had plenty of time for BBQ-ing on a Saturday.  After a few adventures, we made it to Groesbeck, found 2 of the 3 places I wanted to try (Swick's and Kyle's Trading Post), but both were closed.  Drat.  Back to Mexia, we ate at the one spot we had passed, then hunted for two more, one was closed (Kirby's BBQ), the other extinct (Queens BBQ).  Double drat!  After that, things got better and we ended up sampling 5 joints with one real find.  Lots of reviews and photos below.  We will be headed back out 287 in a few more weeks to chase some more joints we haven't tried yet.

Remember, CLICK ON THE PHOTOS FOR A LARGER VIEW.

No comments:

Post a Comment