Thursday, May 14, 2015

Red Dome Smokehouse and Steak Pit, Quitman, Texas

sampled 5/13/15
I noticed this new BBQ joint opened up in Quitman a few months back, but didn't get a chance to stop by til this week.  On heading inside I found a chalk board showing today's menu.  No BBQ was to be seen.  I inquired if they had brisket today and was answered in the affirmative so I took a booth and menu.  There are a lot of other items on their menu and BBQ is off to the right side.  I settled for a 2 meat plate with brisket and pork ribs with 2 sides.
The baby backs were tender and moist but no smoke flavor.  The brisket was overcooked and sliced very thin.  When I tried to pick up a piece it fell apart.  Every scrap of fat had been trimmed away.  It had that roast beefy taste that required sauce.  There was zero smoke flavor.  The sauce was a commercial type with heavy vinegar taste and helped the meat along.
I think this is a mostly non-BBQ joint and despite the "Smokehouse" in the name I didn't find any smoke flavor in their BBQ.  It's a good average Texas BBQ joint with lots of other options.

addendum:
There is now a second location in Grand Saline.

No comments:

Post a Comment