Wednesday, April 10, 2024

B4 Barbecue, Mabank, Texas 4/10/24

 

https://www.facebook.com/B4BBQB/

sampled about 11:30 am

This was our first of 3 stops on our mini-BBQ day trip.  These were all joints Scott had seen on Daniel Vaughn's list so we knew everything was going to be pretty good.  

It took us about an hour to get down to Mabank and we got there just after 11 am.  This place is actually inside the Mabank Feed Store.  The only hint that there is good BBQ inside is a BBQ banner flapping in the wind and the pits you can see from the adjacent road.  We found about 20 people in line in front of us and got our food about 11:30 am.  

I got the 3 meat plate with the usual Texas Trinity, plus a Twinkie popper.  When I said I didn't need any sides (2 come with the 3 meat plate) the boss comped my Twinkie.  That was very nice, but really not necessary.  That's the kind of service you find in country joints that you will never, ever, find in the city.  I think my total was about $35.

The brisket and ribs reminded me a lot of Louie Mueller's with a rub heavy on the pepper.  The brisket was tender and moist and the rib left a perfect bite mark.  The only thing about a heavy pepper rub is it obscures the smoke flavor that I really like to taste in my barbecue.  Mighty good eatin', though.  The beef sausage was pretty average with a snappy casing.  Scott also got a half pound of meat candy.  I sampled a couple of pieces and it was very sweet, with a thick crust, and well rendered pork belly inside.  

They have plenty of space in their dining room and now I know why they need it.  They were sold out by 1:30 so I'm glad we went there first.  Lucky Mabank to have such a great joint in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment