Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Interstellar BBQ, Austin 6/23/21

 

Sampled 6/23/21

We made a short trip to Austin to visit friends and hear some music.  My buddy Dave suggested we try this joint in Northwest Austin and it was a good choice.  

Interstellar is located in a small shopping center with their main pit outside in the parking lot.  Inside we had a short wait and I ordered the usual trinity of brisket, ribs, and sausage.  I also added some intriguing sounding smoked scalloped potatoes.  I received brisket from the flat and there was very little fat.  The brisket pulled apart easily and was moist and tender with just a hint of smoke flavor.  The spare ribs were tender and moist and left a nice bite mark.  The rub was peppery and reminded me a bit of Louie Mueller's.  The sausage was supposed to be jalapeno cheddar.  While there was plenty of cheese, there was no discernable jalapeno and none of the spicy heat I expect with jalapeno sausage.   The smoked scalloped potatoes had good smoke flavor.  A bit of shredded cheese on top and some smoked onion would have made them even better.

A good joint that I would definitely visit again.  Thanks Dave!

1 comment: