Saturday, October 12, 2024

Green's experimenting with twinkies, 10/12/24

 

sampled 10/12/24

I was up at Green's last Saturday and still have a few pieces of brisket and pork belly bites left in the fridge (they warm up great).   For whatever reason, I took a look at Green's facebook page this morning and lo and behold, he had a photo of a big pan full of Texas twinkies, or torpedoes, or poppers, or whatever you want to call those big jalapenos stuffed with brisket and wrapped in bacon.  I knew I needed to give his a try, so I headed up there about 10:30 am and was surprised to find myself first in line.  Usually there are a couple of other crazy BBQ folks waiting by then, but I guess today I was the craziest.

I ordered 6 twinkies, 4 orders of pork belly bites, some brisket biscuits, and a pound of sliced brisket from the fatty end.  Somehow, they mixed up my order and I got home with a sliced brisket sandwich instead of a pound of sliced.  I think it had 2/3 pound of brisket ends on it so I did not take it back.  It was delicious.  The twinkies were average sized jalapenos, not the monster ones some places have.  Each was filled with chopped brisket but I did not detect any cheese filling, which is fine by me.  The bacon was well cooked but not crispy as it is done at some other places.  He is only charging $3.50 each and at that price they make a fine little addition to his menu.  Those things are very labor intensive, so I doubt they will be a regular item, but I will definitely add some to my order if they are available next time.


When I left there were 20 people in line behind me.  It pays to go early!

No comments:

Post a Comment