Sunday, May 26, 2024

Brisket smoke 5/26/24

                          

As often happens, choice brisket is on sale this weekend for Memorial Day.  My Mrs picked up a couple for $1.87/lb, more than half off.  Today is one of the few days where thunderstorms are supposedly not going to pop up, so I thought we'd better get one on the smoker.

I did my usual process, trimming off about 2 pounds of excess fat, cutting in half for our little bullet smoker, and sprinkling liberally with Green's All N 1 rub.  It went on the smoker at 10:15 am with charcoal, oak, and pecan wood.  A wind storm had conveniently dropped a nice dry pecan limb in our yard last night and it is going right into the smoker.  We should have some tasty brisket ready about 8:30 tonight.

When I took the trimmed fat and trash out to the trash can, I found this little lady nearby digging a hole for her eggs.  She was working low and slow, just like our smoker.
I think it is a red eared slider and the eggs will probably be unfertilized, but I will put a protection cage around them anyway.  We'll know in 60-90 days.  If she hangs around maybe I will take her some brisket.
After 6 hours in the smoker, we pulled the brisket halves and wrapped them in Reynolds cooking bags.
Next they went into the oven for another 4 hours at 250 degrees.  After checking the temp at a perfect 202 degrees, they went into a cooler to rest overnight. 
The result was tender, moist, smokey brisket that will keep us smiling all week long.  

Miss red ears vamoosed so we didn't even have to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment