Monday, June 23, 2014

Cripple Creek BBQ, Athens, Texas 6/21/14

sampled 6/21/14 about noon
So what exactly are hog wings?  I'm still not really sure but I think I sampled some.  Maybe.  This 2008 Texas Monthly top 50 joint was no longer worthy in 2013 but they're still proud to display that sign from 2008.  Inside it's a potpourri of western kitsch and they even had old Bonanza episodes running on the flat screen.  They offered a meat sampler plate and that seemed to be right up my alley.  However I was a little taken aback by what I received.
This was a mountain of food, none of it bad, but none of it really great either.  I also think the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.  In that pile of meat I found turkey, ham, sausage, hot link, pulled pork, ribs, but strangely no brisket.  I dug through that pile pretty good and never did find any!  Scott had gotten a 2 meat plate and shared some of his brisket and it was tough and chewy with no smoke flavor.  The ribs were overcooked and the meat fell off the bone when I tried to pick one up.  The sides were very average.  I think if you're looking for a good average meal this place will fill you up but it didn't satisfy us BBQ snobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment